Thursday, August 2, 2007

Disaster

While there are so many disasters in the world, it rarely seems to hit close to home. Yesterday, it did. Alhamdulilah, I wasn't anywhere near the bridge, but still, I've driven over it tons of times and I work close by.

I'm still somewhat disjointed. It's hard putting together coherent thoughts. Good thing I'm not a reporter who has to produce pieces under stress and pressure.

It's weird to log onto the BBC, CNN and other international news sites and see your city up in red.

I was flipping through the channels last night when I came upon the local news. It was a shot from a new chopper of the bridge. SubhanAllah I said. Glory be to God. I paused - SubhanAllah what? SubhanAllah is my favorite dhikr, so it roles naturally off my tongue. Usually I use it to praise God. But what am I praising in this situation?

SubhanAllah for Minnesota nice. So many stories of civilians risking their lives to jump up and help people out of their cars and off the bridge. SubhanAllah for our emergency systems, which responded brilliantly. SubhanAllah for Bani Minnesota. We rock.

SubhanAllah I am alive. It's amazing that I am alive. Everything could be taken away in just one minute, but subhanAllah, here I am.

SubhanAllah.

No comments: