Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Lack of sleep

Its nice that the birds in our area are happy and plentiful. These happy birds decide to congregate on the tree outside our apartment window and start a chirp fest at 4:00 a.m. Alas, this is just the latest in a long line of sleep issues that are driving me mad. I'm almost to the point of asking my doctor (ala the television commercials) about Ambian CR, Lnesta or some other sleep pill that could help me get to sleep and stay asleep.

But, before that, the husband and I are working on a more natural, deeny plan. 1st, make salat right before sleeping. 2nd, drink some anseed (anise seed boiled in water for 3 to 4 minutes). 3rd, make dua. inshaAllah this will work, cuz I don't want to add another pill to the pile I'm already taking. Blah.

Allahumma gharati n'nujum(u), wa hada'ati 'l-'uyun(u), wa Anta Hayyun Qayyum(ul), la ta'khudhuka sinatuw wa la nawm(un), Ya Hayyu ya Qayyum(u), ahdi' layli wa anim 'ayni.

Oh Allah, the stars have gone and the eyes [of people] have sunken [into deep slumber]. Verily You are Everlasting and Eternal, neither sleep, nor slumber can seize you. O Everlasting and Eternal, bless my night with peace and my eyes with sleep.

From Ibn al-Sunni, in the book Reflections of Pearls.

No comments: