Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Kindness in speech

In addition to time spent on Christian Forums, I've been a member of Islamica for years. The posters are teenage and 20 something muslims. I read more than I post there (1000 posts over 5 years, as opposed to my nearly 6000 posts on CF in 3 years), and on occasion come across wondeful gems of wisdom.

Some posters are very agressive in their posting styles. Yesterday, one of these posters posted an apology about his past style, and posted a beautiful reminder of how we should interact with one another. SubhanAllah, the Qur'an has answers to everything. This is one of the reasons I'm a muslim - adab:


Allah says in the Quran to discuss in the best possible manner when youcall to Islam, because not even you yourself know who will get Paradise and who will not:

"You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones." (Quran, 16:125)

I should not retaliate to aggressive posts because Allah says:

"But if you resort to patience (instead of revenge), it would be better" (Quran, 16:126)

"You shall resort to patience--and your patience is attainable only with Allah's help. Do not grieve over them, and do not be annoyed..." (Quran, 16:127)

And even if someone insults my religion, I should remember Allah's injunction in the Quran:

"And remain steadfast in the face of their utterances, and disregard them in a nice manner." (Quran, 73:10)

Even those who reject Islam, Allah says to just give them time:"And let Me deal with those...who reject (the Call); just give them a little time." (Quran, 73:11)

I do not wish to drive a wedge between myself and other Muslims. Allah says in the Quran:

"Tell My servants to treat each other in the best possible manner, for the devil will always try to drive a wedge among them. Surely, the devil is man's most ardent enemy." (Quran, 17:53)

No comments: