Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Just do it (in hijab)

During the 2004 Olympics, there were a spate of articles about muslimah athletes competing in the games. One of those profiled was Ruqaya Al Ghasara, a Bahraini runner who ran wearing hijab.

Ruqaya continues to kick butt on the international level. She just won the gold in the 200 m and the bronze in the 100 m at the Asian Games.

I do wear hijab, but I don't like to get involved in the whole hijab discussion that is popular in online and real world muslim circles. Scratch that, I enjoy discussion hijab styling and hijabi fashion, but I'm not one to get involved in the whole "must pressure all muslimahs to wear it and if you don't, you suck" thing. I do, however, love to see a hijabi suceed. At a time when positive press for Islam is rare, the image of a hijabi blowing away the competition and then making sujood to thank God for her victory is a sight for sore eyes. SubhanAllah!
When I first started running a year ago, I searched high and low for other hijabi runners out there. I found a picture of Ruqaya from the 04 Olympics and pasted it to the door for inspiration. Now I have a ton of pictures to add, and inshaAllah many more when other muslimahs are inspired to get out there and just do it.




































It looks like there were other hijabi athletes at the Asian games as well, mainly from Iran Woo!



Iran's Mina Porseifi Jahankhanomlou at the back of the pack of the 1500m finals. I *heart* her top. I've looked high and low for a slightly longer sports top and have always come up empty.

No comments: