Thursday, August 30, 2007

Nafsi nafsi

Nafsi nafsi - it's a phrase from one of the podcasts I was listening to last week. Sheikh Hamza was talking about the nafsi nafsi, me me culture that we live in. Everything is about me and my self gratification. Lately my nafs has been getting the better of me. I'm sleeping in later and later, cutting down on my Allah (swt) time in the morning.

It's time to get on the jihad...jihad al nafs that is.

d) The Prophet (s) said: al-mujahidu man jahada nafsahu fi ta`at Allah `azza wa jall [The fighter against unbelief is he who fights against his ego in obeying God; Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, Ibn Hibban, Tabarani, Hakim, etc.]... Sufyan al-Thawri said: "I never dealt with anything stronger against me than my own ego; it was one time with me, and one time against me"... Yahya ibn Mu`adh al-Razi said: "Fight against your ego with the four swords of training: eat little, sleep little, speak little, and be patient when people harm you... Then the ego will walk the paths of obedience, like a fleeing horseman in the field of battle."

No comments: