Monday, July 16, 2007

Harry Potter squee!

Ok, so I didn't get the skirt I had my eye on, but I did get a sweeeeet Dumbledore's Army bag. inshaAllah I'll get it this week before the big book release at midnight on Friday. I'm trying to convince the husband that it would be fun to go to a bookstore at 11 pm to eat pizza, drink butterbeer and play Harry Potter charades until the book release at midnight. For some reason, he's just not convinced. So inshaAllah I'll pick my reserved copy up bright and early Saturday morning and dig in - gotta finish it before our 4:00 meeting with the Jehovahs' Witnesses -the husband is becoming quite a little Ahmed Deedat and I'm his official "translator."

Now, Islam in Harry Potter ~ not much has been written on it, aside from the "don't let your kids read it" type of thing. There is the humerous piece about the Hogwarts MSA, but that's just about it. Oh, and it looks like Muslim Girl Magazine readers are Harry Potter fan girls. I've only noticed two possible muslim characters in my recent rereading of books one through 6

Hassan Moustafa - appears on page 106 of book 4. Quiddich World Cup Referee. Gets enchanted by the velas, and then attempts to throw them off the field.
A wizard I who's name I can't remember - wanted to import flying carpets, but couldn't as they are muggle artifacts.


Yeah, so that's pretty much it - Harry Potter and Islam. Not much to say. Just wanted an excuse to write about my new bag. It's so puuuurty!

4 days, 3 hours and 49 minutes until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!

No comments: