Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My future Islamic library

In addition to envisioning an Islamic Art gallery in my future house, I also have a dream to build an Islamic library that includes every english language translation of the Qur'an. I'm well on my way with Asad, Shakir, Yusuf Ali, Arberry, Khan, Saheeh International, Ahmed Ali and Cleary.

The Muhammad Asad translation is by far my favorite, partly for the translation, partly for the commentary and party for the beautiful presenation. This book is enormous, heavy and beautifully decorated. I've always looked longingly at the beautifully calligraphy of arabic only Qur'ans. The new Asad translation conveys a similar feel to that. Watch half.com, because they come up cheap on occasion, since CAIR has been handing them out and people reselling them to make a quick buck. Their loss is our gain.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've had this translation for almost 7 months and still haven't read through it all yet. But, I finish my paralegal certificate tonight (yaay!) and inshaAllah I'm going to set asside some time every night to read it.

Some of the many Qur'an related books on my wishlist to add to my library:

Transliterated Tajweed Qur'an by A. Nooruddeen Durkee
The Majestic Qur'an
Mufti Taqi Usami's translation and tafsir on the Qur'an
Illuminated Discourses on the Holy Qur'an
Qur'an Made Easy

No comments: